Marco Valussi is a Clinical Phytotherapist with a specific expertise in essential oils; he works as educator, writer and consultant for the industry in the fields of herbal medicine, aromatherapy and medicinal plants. He also works as a consultant for NGOs working in the field of traditional medicine in developing countries.
He is the specific director of FX Laboratorio Benessere srl, producer of the essential oils Gadoi; he is also president of the association OfficinaLessinia, dedicated to the study of aromatic plants, their traditions, biodiversity in the mountain regions, and is particularly dedicated to the economical sustainability of an aromatic industry.
He gained his degree in Herbal Medicine (BSc. (Hons.)) in 1998 from Middlesex University, London, after obtaining a Diploma in Aromatherapy and Bodywork in 1995 from ITHMA. Since 1996 he has written more than 100 articles for different professional journals and magazines, on different subjects related to medicinal and aromatic plants. In 2005 he has published with Tecniche Nuove (Milan, Italy) a professional textbook on essential oil science, now in its second edition.
He worked as director and main teacher of a biennial school in massage and aromatherapy
He works as an educator and public speaker at various levels on the subjects of medicinal plants and their usage: he runs Continuing Education courses for erboristi, pharmacists and medical doctors, and seminars as Visiting Professor at the Masters in Medicinal plants at the Universities of Florence, Siena and Pisa.
He also works as a consultant for internationals NGOs working in developing countries. In particular, he has worked in Kenya for CTM – Altromercato, in Nepal for Oxfam, in Colombia for COE – UCODEP, and in Cabo Verde for the EU.
He has been consulting for companies in the field of natural herbal products, and natural cosmetic, both as a formulator and researching the evidence for product claims.
He is a member of the Scientific Committees for the professional magazine “L’Erborista”, for the association for ecological dermatology “Skineco”, and he is a specific consultant for the Italian Society of Herbal Science and Technology (SISTE). He is the Italian representative for EHTPA (European Herbal and Traditional Practitioners Association).
He is a member of the “Italian Society for Research on Essential Oils” (SIROE).
Has written more than 100 articles in professional magazines and journals on the subjects of:
phytotherapy, history of phytotherapy, aromatherapy, essential oils, plant conservation, for Erboristeria Domani, L’Erborista, Medicina Naturale, Farmacia News, European Journal of Herbal Medicine, DermoCosmo News.
He is the author of the essential oil science textbook Il grande manuale dell’aromaterapia: fondamenti di scienza degli oli essenziali (2005) for the publisher Tecniche Nuove, now in its second editionSome published articles:
- “Essential oils and their biological activities in the light of evolutionary theory: a review of the field including synergy and network pharmacology” (2015) International Journal of Clinical Aromatherapy; 9 (1, 2): 69-84
- “Functional foods with digestion-enhancingproperties”.(2012) InternationalJournalofFoodSciencesandNutrition. International journal of food sciences and nutrition; 63 (S1): 82-89
- “Quantitative ethnobotany and traditional functional foods”(2012)Nutrafoods. 11(3):85-93
- “Biomedical research methods and herbalism: a critique” (2001) European Journal of Herbal Medicine, Special Issue: 25– 32
“What Does ‘Alternative Medicine’ Really Mean?” European Journal of Herbal Medicine 3 (1), 38–44
Author of the medicinal plant database: www.infoerbe.it He writes on the blog Silphion: www.marcovalussi.it
Positions of responsibility
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Magazine L’Erborista
- Scientific Consultant for SISTE (Società Italiana delle Scienze e Tecniche Erboristiche)
- Member of the Scientific Committee of SkinEco
- Italian representative for EHTPA (European Herbal and Traditional Practitioners Association)